I ran into an interesting issue today and I felt it important to get out there as I didn’t see much on the topic. I was running a CU on a customer’s environment, everything really well and smooth. Then of course for the simple fact that things were going so smooth of course something had to go awry.
I started of course with the central admin server, patched it and ran psconfig, then started going through the rest of the servers. We got to literally the last server in the farm and got the following fail error.
|Failed to upgrade SharePoint Products.
Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException: Exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException’ was thrown.
Task upgrade SharePoint Products failed, so stopping execution of the engine
The exclusive inplace upgrader timer job failed.
So I did what any good troubleshooter would do. I went to the intertubes! And I found nothing.
After some trial and error it seems that when disabling the SSL cert on the last server the patch went through flawlessly. So if you run up against this issue and you are using SSL, try disabling it and re running psconfig.